The Mongolians

Exercise, Subway, Roommates, Neighbors, and Politics (not really politics)

How fast do fingernails grow?

Two months ago my body took a beating from 20 tons of metal and 250 lbs of negligence. Since then, not everything has completely healed but my body is working on it. My body has the work mentality of an intern. My thumb struck something pretty hard and the evidence has been creeping along the keratin trail. This bruise has to ride the nail out like a lazy person on an escalator. It'll leave when my fingernail has gone through a complete regeneration cycle. But, how fast does the nail grow?

4/17/05
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

4/27/05
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

6/15/05
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A real scientist would have more than 3 datapoints. In the first 10 days, the fingernail grew 5 mm or .5 mm/day. In the 50 following days the fingernail grew 7 mm longer or .14 mm/day. In all it has grown 12 mm in 60 days or .2 mm/day. *UPDATE* - Today is the 20th and the damage has moved 1 mm in the last 5 days or .2 mm/day.

Since their cutting yesterday, the thumb nail is 15 mm long, therefore the journey of the dent should take 75 days in total using the rate of 0.2 mm per day. That is next Tuesday. If you like to measure things by a king's foot that rate is 0.00787401575 inches per day. (Kids, this will make an excellent footnote!) I don't know if a nail actually grows faster at the beginning of the cycle or if it was just because of bad estimates. I hadn't really planned on chronicling the growth of sores on my body until last week.



I'm a little worried that in all of the kinetic energy transfer in the wreckage, some sort of beast formed underneath my nail? Could it be the anti-Christ forming under my nail? What is the gestation period for an anti-Christ? Will someone read the book of Revelation and tell me if there is any significance to thumbs and Tuesday, June 28th 2005? Please hurry. It may already be too late. I've got no problem growing it out indefinitely like some Guinness book for records freak if it means saving the world.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A note to children using this as their primary source of information for a science project: This is an excellent independent study that may be used to gather information for a project on the growth of fingernails. I do not recommend or condone intentionally getting in a car accident to re-create this mark on your thumb to study. Please cite your sources as teachers will usually give A's to projects that have a bibliography entirely from blogspot.com sites.

Beakman said it takes 6 months for a fingernail to grow from cradle to grave. He is a liar.

posted by Ghengis @ 10:18 PM,

5 Conflict(s):

At June 21, 2005 at 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous has news of...

wow. fascinating, but sort of gross.

i'm amazed at how your bruise looks like a bunch of MSPaint brown pixelations.

 
At June 21, 2005 at 11:06 PM, Blogger Ghengis has news of...

Are you accusing me of making this up!? Maybe there is a computer chip in my thumb. That even gives more clout to the mark of the beast theory.

Pretty soon people will not be able to buy or sell without hammering a computer chip into their thumb.

 
At June 23, 2005 at 12:12 PM, Blogger My Life In Indiana has news of...

That's not sort of gross that's REALLY gross, dan.

 
At June 23, 2005 at 7:15 PM, Blogger Ghengis has news of...

Ok. I didn't really think so but maybe. It's just a bruise. At least it's not taco bell or mcdonalds.

 
At June 24, 2005 at 5:46 PM, Blogger Ghengis has news of...

Plus look at how tan my fingers have got over the past 2 months. That is pretty sexy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Admit defeat


Web This Blog

About me

    I'm Ghengis From Mongolia I like climbing, hopping across rocks in running water, and becoming an old man who is worried about the lawn. I hope today is friday.
    My profile

Friendly Tribes


Resources


Recent Writings

Ancient Archives

Powered By

Powered by Blogger
make money online blogger templates